Two Organizations, One Purpose
The Veterans1 partnership with ABS Community Research is based on a simple concept: Veterans1 is good at fundraising for established charities and also good at advocating for veterans and their families before Congress and other government agencies. ABS is good at analyzing charitable groups and providing project management, research, accountability systems and record keeping. Each organization can do what we do best and complement the other – with veterans and their families benefiting.
- Veterans1 started in 2003.
- Veterans1 has no employees or staff. We operate solely with volunteers.
- Veterans1 takes no compensation for its work.
- Veterans1 does not operate programs or charities. Instead, Veterans1 provides services such as assistance in fundraising and mission-development.
- Many people and groups have excellent ideas for helping veterans and their families.
- Unfortunately, they may not know how to go about the difficult business of registering as a charity.
- They may lack experience in putting together a plan of action or a fundraising effort.
- They may not know who operates in the “space” that they hope to occupy.
- Veterans1 can help a group that provides services to veterans and their families in a limited area expand into other parts of the country.
- When help is no longer needed, Veterans1 moves on.
The needs are great and many people and groups want to help. Another group may not be needed. That is why Veterans1 helps worthy smaller groups expand and provides funding and new volunteers for established groups. This way, our contributors know that their money goes to veterans and their families, not to overhead.
…to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan….
- President Lincoln
“For it has been said so truthfully that it is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us the freedom of the press.
It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the soldier, not the agitator, who has given us the freedom to protest.
It is the soldier who salutes the flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, who gives that protester the freedom to abuse and burn that flag.”
- Former Georgia Senator and Governor Zell Miller
It is better to be the widow of a hero than the wife of a coward.
- Dolores Ibarruri
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream.
It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
- President Reagan
Never believe that a few caring people can’t change the world. For, indeed, that’s all who ever have.
- Margaret Mead